Hints & Tips to help you maximise sound quality:
• Safety First: Make sure all components are switched off and unplugged before connecting or disconnecting anything!
• Use a decent hifi rack and a separate shelf per component to isolate the power-supplies from each other (source of electro-magnetic interference). Vibration-absorbing shelves and/or racks offer phenomenal performance.
• Use a separate wall plug or a stereo optimised power conditioner (not the lower quality extension plugs found in DIY stores) and decent power leads per component.
• Use quality speaker cables, interconnects and digital leads as they reduce radio frequency interference (RFI) and other contaminants from destroying your music.
• Separate power cables from speaker/interconnects cables.
• Use the spikes supplied with your speakers to decouple them from the ground and quality speaker-stands for your book-shelf or stand-mount speakers.
When matching speakers to amplifiers remember the more efficient your speakers are, the lower your amplifier’s power need be and vice versa. There are 5 things to remember when installing speakers:
• Whatever you do to one stereo speaker, do the same to the other. For example keep both speakers equidistant from the rear wall, at the same height and use the same cable lengths for both. Example: if 3m of speaker-cables are required for 1 speaker and 1m for the other, use 3m of the same speaker-cables for both. This will improve timing and stereo imaging.
• Use quality speaker-cables and the LEAST amount of it in order to install your speakers properly.
• Stability improves bass-performance. Place your hand on-top of each speaker and rock gently – if the speaker moves to and fro they not installed properly. Adjust the spikes to ensure they stable. Avoid corner positions as this upsets treble detail (except for subwoofers which do perform better in corners).
• Bass boom masks fine treble detail. Find your rooms ideal speaker (acoustic) position by placing both loudspeakers against the wall. Play and listen to a piece of music. Move them into the room slightly and repeat the procedure until an ideal balance of bass and treble is found.
• Next place your loudspeakers far apart from each other thus forming an equilateral triangle between your speakers and your listening seat. Play a piece of music, listen then move them closer. Repeat the procedure until the best holographic image of the artists are reproduced (soundstage).
If you prefer us to install your components when purchasing from istereos.co.uk, please enquire and we’ll be happy to oblige provided you are within the Colchester/Chelmsford boroughs (or within reasonable distance of them). Remember all components purchased from istereos maybe traded in on new items in the future.